Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes with Ganache

It's Tasty Tuesday!  At the request of the Cubbies Leaders at church, I am making 2 dozen strawberry cupcakes for the Cubbies' last night of class.  I am on a quest to reduce our processed foods, which means making cakes from scratch, instead of a mix.  I found this recipe, and fell in love!  Now, just an excuse to make them right?  Well, that came along with the Cubbies!  I am leaving out the red food coloring.  My cupcakes will be less pink than the picture, but I'm okay with that.  At first, they were not nearly pink enough, and I couldn't fit all the cupcakes in my oven at once.  I baked 24, and was unimpressed with the coloring.  After that, I pureed a few more strawberries and stirred them into the remaining batter.  Those cupcakes had a much better color, but did not rise as well.  Did they not rise because they had already risen some, or because the egg whites were beginning to fall, or because I folded more puree into them, I'm not sure.  Her frosting sounded yummy too, but I was looking for less sugar, since I'm covering them with the chocolate Cubbie Bear faces from yesterday's post.  It came to me, ganache!  I am using this recipe, but again altered it.  The 60% Cacao Ghirardelli chips come in a 10 oz. bag, so I just used 10 oz. of chocolate instead of 12 oz.   Tomorrow, I'll post pix of the finished product, along with my taste test reviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment